Friday, July 11, 2014

Steps 1 through 99

Let's just say the process to being paid to become a "part-time" caregiver is a long one... and rather confusing one too. Today I went into the agency that I will be working through to be Bryan's caregiver. I had to fill out all the basic new hire paperwork, W-4, I-9, application and so on... Plus, had to sign the paperwork in regards to safety, emergencies, daily care and figuring out how to do my time sheet. My time like I've said before is 22 hours per week, no more, no less. It breaks up to 4 hours on Monday's, and 3 hours each of the remaining days. How one could do all the necessary things for an HD patient in such few hours is beyond me, but I will take what I can get.

Some of the rules crack me up though, I must wear closed toe shoes, not have my tattoo showing, and need to be dressed as a caregiver would, scrubs aren't necessary, but I could wear them if I wanted. Must I remind you my mother, father, brother & I all live together... (Yeah, it was strange for me too). Also, as a caregiver I am NOT responsible to take him to medical appointments during my time on the clock, nor can I give him his medication...? The best one was, I cannot help with household chores or activities such as feeding the animals, watering plants, or yard work...? So in 3 hours a day I have to prepare his meals, do his laundry, and clean his living room/bedroom or at least make sure it is safe for him to be in the house which we have lived in for 11 years. I also had to have my background checked, and finger prints taken. While I cannot take him to medical appointments when I am on the clock, his insurance has me get a prior authorization number, mileage and time before taking him to and from his doctor appointments in order to be reimbursed for gas (doctor appointments are approximately 45 miles/1 hour from where we live). The agency does not provide me supplies other than standard medical rubber gloves, and if he needs any supplies for the home, rails for his bed, a new shower chair and the like. While insurance covers briefs if/when he needs them and "chuck" pads only on alternating months, one month briefs and the next chuck pads.

I do have to turn in my time sheet every other Monday before noon, 55 miles from home. So during the 8 A.M.-Noon shift I am supposed to be watching him, I have to drive 55 miles to drop off my time sheet, when he cannot be in my car with me, but I am supposed to be care giving during that time. Are you lost yet? So am I. It is a very strange process to go through, but I'm certain that I will get it figured out soon enough.

On an even more personal note, while going through this process I had to have a chest x-ray to check for Tuberculosis. Well, that came with it's own hoops to go through. As a caregiver you have to have a T.B. test done, which I cannot have because when I was 8 years old I got T.B. after my dad had come home from being out to sea. Him, me and 100's of other families on base drew the short straw on that one and unfortunately got  T.B. Well, after receiving my x-ray results today while filling out all my paperwork, the results had a side note that had me raise my eyebrows a little higher, it was found in my x-ray that there is a dark mass/spot/shadow on my lymph nodes. Because dealing with HD isn't enough, right? So I have an appointment next Thursday with my PCM to have them look me over and I'm sure do another chest x-ray and go from there on finding out what it is, and if there is anything that needs to be done about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment